Becoming a green restaurant is an essential step to meet the trend of a lifestyle conscious of our impact on the environment. According to the most recent studies, about 8 million tons of plastic end up in the oceans every year, while 1 million plastic bottles are bought every minute in the world, 500 million plastic straws are used every day in the United States, and 57 million straws are used daily in Canada. And if there is no positive change, there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans by 2050! This affirmed in front of all, Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of the UN, on the World Environment Day (June 5, 2018). As one of the major contributors to greenhouse gas emissions, more and more, restaurants should act on a daily basis for the planet. Sustainable development is a win-win for restaurants. On the one hand, conservators apply the measures to achieve sustainable goals, on the other hand, they reduce their ecological footprints.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A RESPONSIBLE ECO RESPONSIBLE RESTAURANT?
Make sustainable savings:
Reducing the consumption of single-use products: bags, straws and plastic utensils also reduces the cost of purchasing these products.
Increase the reputation of your brand:
To satisfy customers who are more and more aware of environmental issues, and to anticipate the adoption of new regulations that could soon see the light of day. More specifically, your customers are now willing to pay more to buy green products and your neighborhood, city, country will encourage you. The implementation of sustainable development approaches allows restaurants to improve their brand image and also their ability to attract customers.
Improve employee engagement and satisfaction:
Today, most young workers are looking for a responsible environment and working for an eco-friendly restaurant is another motivation to work. And the results: Gain the best internal dynamics and productivity; Manage your employees more easily and keep them loyal longer, etc.
Stand out and differentiate from the competition:
One of the investor selection criteria is a restaurant with a social responsibility approach. So the decision to become an "eco-friendly" restaurant helps you expand the market faster than the other.
5 TIPS TO ENGAGE IN BECOMING AN "GREEN RESTAURANT"
1. Post the Waste Reduction Policy: Provide some tips for reducing waste in your customers' daily lives and print them on your packaging or post them visibly in your restaurant. Your customers can easily see them whenever they are at home. The goal is to educate customers to minimize the use of single-use products such as straws, utensils, napkins, containers, etc.
2. Drink without straw: A plastic straw puts 100 to 500 years to disappear. So make the choice to get away completely! And if you really need to use a straw, go for the ones that are reusable. Accompanying you, TreO Bamboo offers reusable bamboo straws, coconut wood cutlery, and coconut bowls.
3. Use products whose materials come from nature: Nature is necessarily a friend of the environment. The bamboo straws, utensils or the coconut bowls are therefore the ideal products for your restaurants. They are used several times and without toxic products.
4. Prioritize "Eat-in": Most restaurants, especially in fast-food restaurants, must use single-use products such as water bottles, containers, plates, and disposable utensils ... for their customers who want to take away their meal. This clearly shows the waste. So, by offering guests to eat in the restaurant instead of taking 'take-out', you can save not only the cost of buying these products but also help to improve our environment through this ecological gesture. (not sure that this is an economic argument ... because there are a lot of costs for an "on the spot" too ...)
5. Personal Container Bonus: If you cannot control the need to take out food or beverages from your customers due to lack of space or obligations from your customers, you should encourage your customers to bring their own containers by offering a discount. Participate in our Resto Zero plastic Action, this movement allows cafes, restaurants, schools and also businesses to increase the interest of customers and to have positive reactions from customers. So, commit to change!